Percy Shaw, the One Man Band, will be returning to the Market this week! His country-folk sound is always a favorite. Shaw strums his guitar, and keeps rhythm on the drums, while singing and playing harmonica.Reserve Your Thanksgiving Turkey Now
Canter Hill is now taking reservations for Thanksgiving turkeys. Available in both heritage breed and conventional, these turkeys are sure to be delicious! Order at the Canter Hill table this week to guarantee your turkey!Vote for Our Own Nether Providence Soap Company
Media’s own Nether Providence Soap Company has been entered into the The BRASSY awards. These awards recognize entrepreneurs and their businesses. The top 5 vote-getters will each receive mentorship from business luminaries at a special one-day Seller Summit, a $10,000 cash prize, and more. If she is a winner, owner Saarene hopes to use the prize money to invest in Fair Trade ingredients for her product lines. You can vote every day, and we ask that you vote often for NP Soap!
Mark Your Calendar for our Holiday Market
The Market’s regular season will end this year on October 27. But we will return on November 17th for a very special Holiday Market! Plan to come out and get the freshest ingredients for your Thanksgiving dinner! The Holiday Market will be held in the Media Theater lot on Thursday, Nov. 17 from 3 to 7pm. See you there!
Media Farmer’s Market to be Featured at Farm to Table Plein Air Art Show
During the summer local Philadelphia artists have been hard at work capturing the beauty of area farms, wineries and farmer’s markets for the upcoming Farm to Table Plein Air Art Show. This unique show will feature watercolor, oil, and pastel paintings that feature the rich agricultural heritage of the area. All works for the show were painted on site, or ‘plein air.’ Artist Jeanne Bruneau visited the Media Farmers Market earlier this season to paint the Market.
The Farm to Table Plein Air Art Show will run from November 4 to 25th at the Frame Station Gallery in Berwyn, Pa. The opening is Nov. 4 at 6pm and will include hors d’oeuvres crafted from the bounties of featured farms. Be sure to look for Jeanne’s finished painting of our Market!
Bi-Weekly Vendors at the Market This Week:
- Fair Trade Trolley Stop
- Crisp & Co.
- J&J Kettle Korn – last Market of the season!
Every week we feature a meal made from the Market! We’ll provide the shopping list and recipe here, all you have to do is purchase the ingredients at the market, spend a little time in your kitchen and voila, a delicious, fresh meal straight from the farm!Autumn Roasted Chicken with Tuscan Potato Salad, Parlsey Carrots, and Steamed BroccoliShopping List:
Whole Chicken (Canter Hill)
Carrots (The Farm Stuff / E. Fudd & Son)
Broccoli (The Farm Stuff)
Cherry Tomatoes (E. Fudd & Son / The Farm Stuff)
Green Beans (E. Fudd / The Farm Stuff)
Parsley (E. Fudd & Son)
Thyme (E. Fudd & Son)
Olive oil (Mediterra)
Balsamic Vinegar (Mediterra)
3 lbs New Potatoes (E. Fudd & Son)
Herbes de Provence
- Mix 1 tablespoon softened butter with 2 – 3 tablespoons minced parsley & thyme or Herbes de Provence.
- Loosen breast skin on the chicken breast using finger tips and smear the herb mixture under the skin. Sprinkle the chicken lightly with salt and pepper (optional).
- Roast at 325* for 20 minutes per pound.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand 10 minutes before slicing
- Mix 1/2 cup olive oil with 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar. Mince 1/3 cup of parsley and cut tomatoes in half.
- Cut potatoes into bite-size pieces and boil about 15 to 20 minutes in water. Potatoes should be just fork tender. Remove potatoes from water and add green beans to boiling water and cook for 8 minutes.
- While beans cook, toss hot potatoes with oil mixture and cool.
- Drain and cool beans.
- Add beans, capers, tomatoes, and parsley to potatoes. Mix, add salt and pepper to taste. Chill until ready to serve
Broccoli: Cut into florets and steam until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Carrots: Cook in boiling water until fork tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and toss in 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons minced parsley.